Thursday 4 October 2012

Circular Narrative Assignment

So for one of the assignments within this module we have to produce a sequence of images that have a circular narrative, like I have mentioned a few post previous to this one.

I actually found it quite difficult to come up with a good idea for a circular narrative in which the first and last image' were of an exit sign like the one below, so to start with I produced a mind map and jotted down all the different things I could think about that had a connection with an exit sign.

 

From this mind map and also some research into photographers such as Gregory Crewsdon I was able to decide more on the direction I wanted to go in. Here is an outline of the idea that I have and what I am going to develop my sequence on;


Circular Narrative Proposal

Working title: A crime in the dead of night.



For this assignment I have to produce a sequence of photographs that have a circular narrative. Having been given an image of an exit sign that I have to use as both the beginning and last photograph in the sequence. I want to produce something different from anything I have attempted before. Having thought outside of the box I came up with an idea that I would really like to develop.

I thought about the different place that you find exit signs and the main place that stuck with me was in multi-storey car parks. So I went with that and developed an idea that would tie in with a multi-storey car park.
The idea that I have is of a car robbery, capturing different stages of the robbery from the point where the car is being broken into, to being driven away and then dumped in a multi-storey car park where the person who has stolen the car then makes a run for it, towards the exit of the car park, where the story then ends. Making the full circle back to the exit sign that I started the sequence with. I want to title this sequence 'A crime in the dead of night'.
The sequence will start with the exit sign, instead of the sequence then carrying straight on it will jump back in time to a while before - kind of like what happens in films such as 500 days of summer and Inception. The second image will be of a person breaking into a car, it will then go from that image on to them getting into the car and then taking off on a joy ride down the quite dead road. I will then go on to capture an image of the car entering a multi-storey car park where it will be dumped. The second to last image will be of the person who has stolen the car dumping the car and leaving it, making a break for it towards the car parks exit, where I will then focus in on the exit sign, linking the whole sequence together creating a circular narrative.
The target audience that I am thinking about is people who own cars and drive, making them think a little bit about car crime and the happenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment